Was in the shed today fitting new bars and brake cable. I opted for "Western" style bars so had to buy a longer cable. I also fitted a new throttle twist grip. Once done I switched on the power to kick it over. I noticed the needle on the ammeter dropped to -0 immediately. I switched it off and the needle returned to 12. On again and dropped to -0 again. Luckily I had the seat off and I noticed smoke coming from the brown/blue wire. I immediately switched the ignition off. This time the lights stayed on (even though I had not switched them on) Luckily (again) the battery is connected with spades, so I pulled them off and removed the battery.
There was substantial melting of the insulation wire on the br/bl at the battery end, the fuse was also melted on the red earth wire.
I opened the headlamp and again the brown/blue had melted as well as the white/brown wire. Unfortunately the was also some collateral damage to other wires where these two had been lying against them
Now I had not touched any wiring other than pulling the handlebar cables out a bit for the higher bars, but nothing too severe, so with these (rather vague) symptoms can anyone hazard a guess as to the cause. Would a fault in the ammeter cause this.
The PO has done a lot of alterations/upgrades to this bike including fitting Electronic Ignition and 12v alternator as well as removing the distributor, so I cannot be sure of the correct wiring colours matching what is actually on the bike
I have posted this over on another Triumph Forum, but I have the same respect and trust of the knowledge of most of the posters on here as well