However, I've just realised that when the starter button fell apart on my Ascot and all the lights went out the lights went out because the battery just lost all it's charge, just like that. No fuses blown, I don't remember any sign of a load of electrical energy suddenly getting disharged I've yet to check through all the wiring because I only realised today how totally dead the (gel) battery is. The switch itself looks fine, as I have if it off now so I can try to fix it using parts from the VT250 switch. There was no sign of anything untoward in the junction box that the Ascot has under the headlight either.
The battery itself is in deep discharge, I can't get any life into it. So it looks like I'm going to have to scrape together the money for a new battery as well, but since I'm not planning on using the Ascot any more this year that gives me until next spring to save up, sort the switch and the leaking fork seals and save up for mot's and tax as well.