La Manzanilla Message Board
[ Post a Response | La Manzanilla Message Board ]
La Manzanilla message board
Re: Insect ID
Posted by Richard on May 7, 2018, 5:07 pm, in reply to "Re: Insect ID"
It looks like a "concla" (local common name) paraphrynus mexicanus or tailess whiptail scorpion ( another common name).
It appears to have very recently emerged from it's exoskeleton which they do periodically as they grow larger.
They get quite a bit larger and are quite ferocious looking although, unlike almost all other arachnids, are not poisonous.
They have eight legs. The two front ones act as articulating antennae.
The pincers are enlarged mouth parts with which they grapple their prey and suck out their internal juices with fangs.
They say they are "harmless to humans" but I have seen large ones with fangs I would not like to be poked with.
- Insect ID - Jan G May 6, 2018, 11:49 am
- Re: Insect ID - Rhonda o May 7, 2018, 8:36 am
- Re: Insect ID - Joyce May 7, 2018, 10:05 am
- Jacquie got bit by one of those last year, be on alert as ... - Dean May 7, 2018, 2:38 pm
- Re: Insect ID - Jean May 7, 2018, 3:00 pm
- Re: Insect ID - Richard May 7, 2018, 5:07 pm
- Re: Insect ID - Pablo May 8, 2018, 12:22 am
« Back to index | View thread »
Terms of agreement
Be sure to visit www.lamanzanilla.info for more information about La Manzanilla Mexico.