Pulse Rifle optic assembly
In this post I am sharing the images captured during the build up of the lens assembly for use on Bazookafied’s M-41 Pulse Rifle. I have also supplied the text to detail this process. Zook supplied the parts for this endeavor.
Prior to beginning this project we discussed the possibility of fabricating a completely new optic assembly manufactured from aluminum for this application. After evaluating the 800’ range Zook was already getting with this LC lens, cone and a TSAL-6100 IR LED, I realized I could not substantially improve on this range without increasing the diameter of the lens in a custom optic assembly to at least two inches. Zook was not interested in changing the form of the front end of his M-41 to accept a two inch lens. I have to say I agree with that decision.
With the requirement to keep the front end of this M-41 as close to the original configuration as possible we decided not to spend the extra time, effort and resources needed to design and fabricate a completely new optic assembly. Instead, the decision was made to utilize the components Zook supplied. What follows is how I used the four components Zook supplied to meet this challenge.
I am happy with the end results overall. The only issue I encountered was when I applied the heat to shrink the heat shrink tubing on the cone to cover up the slit from the original Laser Challenge application. Evidently the plastic used in the manufacture of this cone has a very low melting point. The small hole the TSAL-6100 IR LED fits into was slightly distorted. The end result is the LED it difficult to remove and install. Not a big issue in the overall picture, but not perfect. Other than that this project turned out nice and I am excited to see how it performs in the field on Zook’s mighty M-41A Pulse Rifle.
A. Here are the four components Zook sent to me for use on this project.
B. An accurate measurement confirmed my idea of trapping the cone inside the threaded collar with the lens will work.
C. View of the collar/stem prior to cutting the stem off.
D. Stem clamped in the vise to cut the collar off.
E. Cutting operation under way.
F. Collar, now cut from the stem, being cleaned up on the sander to square up the cut end enough to keep the cutter from pulling off center.
G. Collar ready to go on the mill.
H. Collar clamped on mill bed and ready for the bore to be enlarged.
I. Boring operation underway.
J. Rough cut now complete
K. Bore cleaned and deburred. The inside diameter of the collar is now sized to accept the large end of the cone.
L. The cone pressed into place, held in place by the flange on the large end.
M. Collar now screwed in place, holding the optic cone in place. Note the TSAL-6100 now installed and the heat shrink tubing to cover the slit in the cone.
N. Front end of the completed assembly. The lens is firmly held in place by the cone in the now modified collar. Time to assemble and field test this bad boy.
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓
« Back to index