Hey, there's a Mark Twain National Forest? Who knew? That's cool. Mostly positive Google reviews. Very few coherent reviews, though.
Where was I? Well, the map speaks for itself. Only five people left Indiana/Illinois. The overwhelming majority live in Chicago and Northwest Indiana.
I was also shocked to see that London is further north than anywhere in the US. Could that be right? Maybe it's just a trick of the map. Like how Greenland looks huge on maps but actually it's rather small.
Wow. Who knew Romania was this big? And Poland. These aren't on the map I posted but I'm still on the original and doing some scrolling. Belarus and Ukraine too. Poland is like the size of Spain. And Ukraine the size of Turkey. I had no idea.
Anyway, it's a bit pathetic, isn't it? Not country size but I'm going back to this classmate thing. Nobody really moved anywhere. Minnesota, Tennesee, and New York state are the winners. That sucks.
I'd like to do a talk at my old school. "I know you think you're going to go somewhere and do something cool with your lives but if my class is any guide, 85% of you will still be in Indiana of Illinois 20 years from now. The vast majority of this 85% will still be in Chicago or Northwest Indiana. Only 6% will leave the country."
Think of the suicide rate after that speech. And it's not like things have improved in 20 years. That place is more of a ghetto than ever. It was like 70% white when I was there with most of the remaining 30% being Hispanic. Now it's probably about 30% white with probably 50% Hispanic and 20% black. So 15% leaving is probably unrealistically high for today's crop of students.
You know what? I was way off with these demographics. Here's the scoop straight from the internet: 16.1% white, 71.5% Hispanic, 9.8% black.
As for poverty, 74.7% are eligble for free lunches. In order to be eligible for free lunches, your family has to be at or below 130% of the official poverty level. So if I'm reading this right, if you're at the official poverty level, you're too well-off for this program. You have to be 30% below the official poverty level. And three quarters of the students meet this incredibly low threshold.
Only 75% graduate. I never understand these statistics. Who are the 25% not graduating? It probably wasn't much higher when I was a student. I know some people who didn't graduate, but not many. Actually, now that I think of it, 75% could be about right. I suddenly remembered a bunch of skinheads who quit school in the 10th grade.
Only 50% of black students graduate. That's pathetic. The website charitably chalks this up to the school failing to meet the needs of all racial groups.
They get a rating of 35 out of 100.
So yeah, those people aren't getting out of the US unless they go back to Mexico.
Did I mention that I haven't watched tv all day? This is my first tv-free day...possible ever. At least if we exclude the times when I didn't have access to a television. But as I've stated, there's just nothing on any more. I don't know what happened. All the channels conspired against me to suddenly start showing nobody but shit.
I don't mind it. Can listen to the soothing ticking of this heater timer in the kitchen. Also getting some stuff done. Worked out. Made fajitas. The chicken was two days out of date but no food poisoning symptoms so far. They were each individually vacuum sealed anyway. Should be okay. Smelled fine. Looked fine.
Napped as well. Did a lot of napping.
Let's check out Tinder. Hey, a match with a chubby 22 year old. Big girls need loving too. More cushion for the pushing if you know what I'm saying. Intercourse.
« Back to index