Re: Now it's official - It might be legal to remove
Posted by Eddie Zyla on December 8, 2013, 1:31 pm, in reply to "Re: Now it's official - It's not legal to remove"
User logged in as UKAT5571
Edited by UKAT5571 on December 8, 2013, 1:36 pm
The main question here is does the MOT tester check to see that the DPF can is still in place or does he carry out a stricter smoke test to question if the can might be empty? I don't think the Tester would be allowed to remove and inspect the DPF casing or even to fail it if welded as it may have genuinely been repaired.
We have been installing LPG systems for many years and have removed the contents of many catalysts at customers requests. When sending these vehicles for MOT whilst running on LPG they still have to appear that a cat is fitted but a cat test isn't carried out, in these cases the old pre-cat emissions still apply, 3.5% co and 1200ppm HC i think.
We've carried out many DPF removals (emptying the contents) over the last 2 years and in most cases also installed a modified map for better performance and more economy, some of which smoke more than standard.
If these vehicles still were to pass the MOT visually but fail on excessive smoke then this could be easily temporarily corrected by further remapping or by turning down the fueling with a CRD tuning box.
CRD Performance - Bolton.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- DPF Removal - Is it legal? # - Peter Warman November 26, 2013, 2:22 pm
- Re: DPF Removal - Is it legal? # - Steve Sneap November 26, 2013, 3:50 pm
- Re: DPF Removal - Is it legal? # - Graham Bullock November 26, 2013, 5:24 pm
- Now it's official - It's not legal to remove - Peter Warman December 4, 2013, 5:52 pm
- Re:DPF Removed today - MOT emissions test passed - Peter Warman December 17, 2013, 2:09 pm
- VOSA statement - Richard Bowler February 5, 2014, 2:29 pm
- Re: DPF Removal - Is it legal? # - Ed Kaps February 26, 2014, 10:12 am
- Has it kicked in on the MOT yet? - Peter Warman April 17, 2014, 3:15 pm
- Diesels are bad for you - Peter Warman May 1, 2014, 9:33 am
- DPF Removal at the Garage Owners risk - Peter Warman December 10, 2015, 11:13 am
- Is it all change for Diesel Testing? - Peter Warman April 20, 2016, 8:42 am
« Back to index | View thread »