Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard
I am with you that I like having LBSU win the cup; however, you stated that this was a reflection of how good the athletic department is doing and I think winning the cup is not a good reflection of that. I believe in the team sports I listed LB was only in the conferences top two 3 times. In a relatively weak conference I am not sure those results are a time for celebration.
I look at what the expectations/potential of each program are and I think meeting those expectations are the way to look at things. Being competitive in conference maybe a standard for one program, winning a conference championship for another and making and winning games/matches in the NCAA tournament is the standard for some others. The school can win the cup and still not meet athletic department expectations. I think this year was a reflection of that.
With all due respect (and I mean that) this is a big deal! We are the best in the conference that we are in, and we have improved from where we were last year, and have a good shot at improving even more next year. I believe that MBB, WBB MVB, WVB, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Men's & Women's Golf, and a few other sports will all be even better next year. I like to celebrate our accomplishments, and hope that this is a great start towards continued improvement in a number of our other sports... ALWAYS A BEACH FAN!!!
Reasons that RCB1 has it right, and why we should expect Commish Cup wins frequently:
1) We have clear advantages over others in our conference. Strong facilities, exceptional weather location, true beauty of our campus, high annual and long term admission demand, and proximity to ocean (close enough to conduct research on the "Elbee" species of shark, PLUS participate in late night Grunion runs!).
2) We are members of the Big West Conference. Big West is "bottom heavy" in terms of RPI in most revenue generating sports. Why can't we dominate a league like this?
3) This year's cup win is nice, but it not enough to raise our champagne glasses over a toast to. It is the standard we should judge our program upon. Once every 5 or 6 years simply is a failure and it says A TON about the current state of our overall athletic program.
I think all of us would like it if we made an NCAA appearance in every event that we play in. But if we did, I am sure that there would still be those who thought that we should have won the NCAA Championship... I think that our athletic department is improving, and winning the BIG WEST Commissioner's Cup says that we have the best overall program in the Big West. And gathering the most points in history says that we are getting stronger overall. I am happy that we are making progress, and I look forward to this progress to continue in years to come. I hope that next year will show even more progress across the board.
For those who are not donating to the successes of our athletic program, I would encourage you to come on back and start donating again. Our future is looking good, and we will have an even greater chance of continuing with our progress is you consider donating, or increasing your donation to our athletic program!
Got it but I was thinking of team sports: MBB, WBB, MVB, WBB, BVB, BB, SB, Soccer, MWP, WWP and tennis. Of those sports only MVB and MWP reach the NCAA tournament.
For your information the following teams have made the post season in one form or another.
I may have missed some.
Maybe the water polo teams made post season.
I like it when LBSU wins this award but receiving it just means the school was consistently at the top in the BW. I am not going to go back and look but I believe LBSU had only one team sport (MVB) even make the NCAA tournament. I do not believe winning this is any indication that the department is excelling if post season play comes into the equation.
That says a LOT about the overall status of OUR Athletic Department. Congratulations Andy Fee, his staff, and all of the coaches for a great year. AND, I think that we could be even better next year!!!
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- We goy it - BeachBacker 5/29/2022, 12:03 pm
- Re: We goy it - DPITTS 5/29/2022, 5:59 pm
- Re: We goy it - RCB1 5/29/2022, 8:55 pm
- Re: We goy it - RCB1 5/29/2022, 9:00 pm
- Re: We goy it - BeachBacker 5/29/2022, 10:41 pm
- Re: We goy it - BeachBacker 5/29/2022, 10:48 pm
- Re: We goy it - RCB1 5/30/2022, 7:58 am
- Re: We goy it - DPITTS 5/30/2022, 8:20 am
- It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - Dedicated to DaBeach 5/30/2022, 11:38 am
- Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - DPITTS 5/30/2022, 12:00 pm
- Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - DPITTS 5/30/2022, 12:01 pm
- Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - RCB1 5/30/2022, 1:00 pm
- Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - BeachBacker 5/30/2022, 1:41 pm
- Re: It's Nice We Won the Cup; Neverthless,This Should be the Standard - Sparky 5/31/2022, 5:55 pm
« Back to index