not so fast -- one shoe has dropped -- lets wait and see when the other 2 shoes will drop -- then when we see some good progress being done for athletes (bring back pete, 40er names) along with honoring the topo students in their high school class with scholarships as done in the past -- then think about getting those folks back who in the past has donated to the school and athletes ---- don't be satisfied with just a whiff of success but wait until you see the changes ----- GO 49ers--------------
Like the rest of you, I'm very happy that the new fee went through. I don't know if I'm in the minority or majority, but I'd like to see that raised to $100 in a year or two.
One thing that I've always argued about donating is that you want to feel like you're part of something positive and much bigger than yourself. It can be tough to get excited to donating money to a program that doesn't have broad support. The fee changes some of that. Now all of the students are a part of this, like it or not. This is a great move for the University and the athletic program. I for one, after not donating for several years (and having donated to both the school and BAC for many years) went back and donated some dollars to Mauricio some months back. I will increase my giving in the near term and I hope that those of you that pulled back, as I did, will consider doing the same. Now, what do we need to really step forward in the coming year? Glad you asked:
1. We need a good, up and coming, AD that is fanatical about fundraising.
2. We need serious outreach to alumni and community partners on serious donations and endorsements of our athletic programs.
3. I've beat this drum 100 times. We need an announcement before, at halftime, and at the end of every athletic home game asking people to join the BAC. Every damn one. We need to have a table set-up to process these new members at every event. A portion of small donors become large donors, but we also need small donors. Our donor base is way too small. DENNIS PITTS CAN YOU HELP MAKE THIS HAPPEN???
4. We need a P5 assistant that has a ton of promise as our new MBB coach. We know we might only have this person for 5 years, but we need someone that can prove we can win again at Long Beach State. Then the next coach can really take us to higher heights.
5. We need to fully fund all scholarships.
6 We need to finish capital projects.
7. We need better strength/conditioning and nutrition resources for our athletes. Sorry, and a legit S/C and nutrition staff.
There must be more and I hope you gents add to my list. I can only really start with myself, but I'll be increasing my donation in the near term to see if change really is happening.
« Back to index