Yes, that's true, there comes a time...
Absolutely. Generally you have to do whatever it is after dark.
We usually use a glass bowl, which works perfectly each time. But, when the nest is under criss-crossed wood, and on a hill, you can't place it correctly.
We've done that, and you're right, it works. One year, when all of the kids were still at home, they, and their dad, were crossing the RR tracks to get to our fields. They didn't know that there was a nest under the tracks until they were walking across it, and the yellow jackets swarmed them.
It may have only been Dh and the girls, because Ds is allergic and he wasn't stung that time. Anyway, Dh got 11 stings before he could get away from them, one of the girls got stung on both arms, and I don't recall the other's stings, but they did all get stung; multiple times.
Because a bowl couldn't be used in that situation, Dh went back after dark and poured gasoline, which worked. We didn't light it either, though I know that's done in some places. But, with them having swarmed with people just walking by, they had to go.
Do your wasps nest in the ground?
Love All Life; Thank You For Posting! :)