They put her down, and will send a tissue sample of her brain to Kansas. We should know in a few days if the results are positive or negative.
I felt horrible when she was crated to leave, when she'd been purring and rubbing against us moments before, but there was no choice.
The vet and county both said that, if she was sick, that she'd die before 10 days after the bite occurred. But then, you would have to rush her down to another town before her body became cold...that wasn't practical as we live too far, and I can't guarantee that Ds would have been available if we had found her passed on.
She would also have become unbalanced and more dangerous, and would then need to have been caged and taken down anyway.
Her vet has been a vet for a long time...he's past usual retirement age. And, his father before him was a vet. His thought was that, if she's not sick, she still has something very wrong with her, his bet being a brain tumor. That makes sense.
Whatever it was, it just wasn't good. The only thing is, it would have been easier to send her had she been acting out, and not being her sweet self.
In the meantime, we just wait for the results of the test, which could be here as early as Saturday, until Monday-ish.
Fyi, did you know...
That they give the rabies series directly into the bite wound now? That could be misinformation, but it's what the first officer that I spoke with told me.
Well, I'm going to lie down for a while. I've gotten little sleep since Sunday. After that, I'm going to get her a placemarker stone, even though I don't have a body. It seems wrong to not remember her in the pet graveyard...
Love All Life, Thank You For Posting! :)