One man at the county, who'd only been working in the health dept. arm of animal control for a few months, tried to talk me out of it. I think because we'd had her for nearly 15 years. But, his boss, and my vet, both felt that the testing should go forward, especially being that putting her down was inevitable anyway, considering the circumstances.
With the baby now, especially, even if we wanted to take the chance ourselves, which we didn't, considering the type of attack that it was. I know that I'm repeating myself, but I've never seen a domestic cat act that viciously/violently, for the time that it lasted. Dogs, yes, cats no. And, I've seen cats bite, growl, hiss, etc. This was just totally different.
In fact, because it happened the day after Thyri was born, I haven't been able to hold her yet. Dh and ddil offered to bring her over today, with Nefertiti gone (we were quarantined by the county...no new humans or animals to come over for 10 days. I'm not sure if I'm still under quarantine until the test results are back, or not.), but out of an abundance of caution, I had to reluctantly decline until we get back the results of the test. She's too vulnerable to take chances with, I feel.
Thank you so much, and I'm sorry that you guys have been in the same situation. I've had 2 dogs that I couldn't keep due to their aggression, over the years. Even when it's hard, you have to do what's best for everyone.
Love All Life, Thank You For Posting! :)