Yes, they have excellent senses.
It sounds like he'd rather be with you than anywhere else.
Oh no, I'm so sorry! :-( Do they think that he was poisoned by getting into something accidentally, or by someone externally doing it on purpose?
If the latter, then I'm worried about Charlie.
We had a situation like that in our area in the late 70's. Dogs were being poisoned by someone through poisoned meat. That led me to 'poison proof' every dog that we trained from then on. When Krypto is older, he will receive the same training. We've started by not feeding him people food...dry popcorn and yogurt aside.
After they are more mature, and have learned not to eat what he finds lying about, or that someone throws to him, he will learn that if we give it to him, in his own dish only, he can have it.
I understand about his size!
That's funny about Charlie's feet!
Love All Life, Thank You For Posting! :)