1) Leon mentioned Roman soldiers wearing boots.
2) Sparrow said he thought they wore sandals.
3) I just got done reading a book about Roman soldiers and their lives and times, and (after the 1st century, when they were marching around Europe), I said that they did in fact wear boots instead of sandals, and I think the research shows that.
4) Sparrow said "well, that's me put in my place".
5) I knew very well that I was not "putting anyone in their place", because I don't know where that is. I merely joined the conversation about sandals and boots and gave my opinion. It's just a discussion, it's not "putting anyone in their place".
6) So I said so.
Nothing 'obtuse' about that. You're going to have to try harder if you want to put ME in my place ... I mean ... err ...