1) Tesla and others have been making a major shift to cobalt-free LiFePO batteries over the past 18 months beginning in Europe and China
2) China's biggest EV manufacturer BYD are now using their cobalt-free "Blade" batteries in all new EVs. As you also won't know or want to know, BYD designed the Blade battery with easy recyclability in mind.
Re: the jaw-dropping hypocrisy and selective outrage of the Congo-Cobalt-Kids brigade:
1) the invasion of Iraq would not have happened if the country's and the Mid East's main exports were peanuts, figs and bananas. The gasoline that you and / or most "outraged for Congo kids" green-bashers put in your/their beloved combustion cars is soaked in the blood of millions of men, women and children(war and sanctions etc). Iraq War death count:
- over a million Iraqis died
- 4,800 US-UK troops killed
- 37,000 troops wounded
- and countless men, women and children lost limbs to IED's, unexploded US cluster bombs and other buried munitions
And what of the million+ deaths caused by punitive US sanctions against oil-rich Iraq and even oil-richer Venezuela ?
And of course none of the legions of Congo-Cobalt outre's ever talked about or expressed any concern at all about the cobalt that has been used in mobile phones, laptops and a zillion other gizmos and gadets for the past 25+ years.
But as soon as EVs hit their / your radar you suddenly started getting forensically informed and selectively concerned about cobalt and Congo kids.
But never it seems concerned enough to research and press for alternative battery chemistries/green solutions - because either you hate EVs per se or you just don't want to see ever greener solutions helping to solve a whole range of environmental, geopolitical, societal problems.
(But by stark contrast: silver-bullet, quick-fix reactive aka after-the-fact solutions in the form of vaccines, masks, vitamin C etc etc to save your own lives(ostensibly) - hey, bring it on ! Make the quick-fix solutions mandatory ! Yeah, Noam et al. Got ya.)
No - it's a crazy, wild guess - but for most people on this board the only solution to all the the almost all the ills that plague this precious planet is still:
"Smash Capitalism! Smash Capitalism".
And of course you all love to forget that millions more men, women and children die every year from the effects air pollution than die (even) of lung cancer.
So how often do you or anyone on the anti-green or fickle-green Left ever join the obvious dots between the global addiction to gasoline/oil/combustion and all of that truth-dodging addiction's destructive, bloody, costly, cataclysmic consequences and impacts ?