Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! Archived Message
Posted by Willem on September 12, 2020, 10:28 pm, in reply to "Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained!"
Contributing to the confusion are videos claiming the pandemic is no different from usual viruses. |
In my experience this virus is very different from the principle cause of severe viral pneumonia - influenza.
But he doesn't actually say that. He shows the graphs and leaves it up to the viewer to make their conclusions, and it is pretty clear: whatever you say about it being different, the graph looks remarkably similar to usual infuenza virus deaths.
I think the video uses a selective reading of the data to fortify an entrenched opinion in support of a laissez faire position.
That's ridiculous. Because he argues on the basis of all those graphs shown and comes to a different viewpoint than you, he has an "entrenched opinion"? Do you have an "entrenched opinion"? And "selective reading"? Well, on some level, everything anyone cites is selective. However, given the large range of comparisons he makes, it is hardly "selective". Just because he doesn't mention South Korea? He does mention the steep peaks and even explains them convincingly I thought -- essentially because of very few deaths in the months leading up to winter 2020 (first time I heard this).
Cummins rather blows it at the end with some plot hole/ass covering. He accepts that there may be a bigger seasonal mortality this winter than expected but claims people trying to control the virus will be to blame and have blood on their hands - nice touch. His explanation for the increased mortality - that the virus hasn't had the chance to spread naturally over the summer because of the measures implemented ....which he's spent the previous 20 minutes claiming have no effect on spread. Which is having a large cake and eating it.
Also nonsense. Why does he blow his arguments by making a prediction? He was saying (1) that the various measures were unnecessary during the summer as the virus is declining anyway and (2) that people become weaker due to isolating themselves (via social distancing and masks) from bacteria and viruses, and hence more likely to be hit strongly if getting a disease. That's not having your cake and eating it.
Thanks spike, for the video.
- Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! - spike September 9, 2020, 10:01 pm
- Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! - Grace September 10, 2020, 7:02 am
- Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! - Tomski September 10, 2020, 8:58 am
- Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! - Alan haynes September 10, 2020, 10:54 am
- Best wishes - Shyaku September 10, 2020, 11:56 am
- Sorry to hear you've been ill Spike. best wishes. nm - dan September 10, 2020, 5:25 pm
- Re: Viral Issue Crucial Update Sept 8th: the Science, Logic and Data Explained! - spike September 10, 2020, 8:57 pm
- Good luck Spike - Keith-264 September 11, 2020, 9:04 am
- Funny if it wasn't so expensive...? - Gerard September 17, 2020, 2:39 pm