XR officially kicking out co-founder Roger Hallam
Posted by Ian M on November 20, 2020, 6:32 pm
Oh dear, they didn't like how 'controversial' he was, he cost them members and was the cause of disagreement in online comment sections. A 'divisive' figure, g-d help him... because every successful activist leader in the past won their victories by being nice and saying All the Right Things to please everybody, right? What a f*ing joke, XR would be nowhere without him & others like him stirring the pot. NGO careerists & PC thought police will kill this movement if they haven't already. It has taken them nearly a year to arrive at this verdict from their 'restorative process': |
I really hope nobody has been getting paid from peoples' donations to fund this petty show trial...
Hallam's latest project:
Interesting that Radiohead pulled out their funds over the holocaust comments too. Shows the depth of their commitment & their priorities, especially after they ignored BDS requests and played in Tel Aviv.
XR GLOBAL SUPPORT STATEMENT ON ROGER HALLAM
Following a review of the impact of Roger Hallam’s actions and statements on the growth, morale, and media coverage of our global movement, Extinction Rebellion Global Support is issuing this clarifying statement.
Roger Hallam was one of the key founders of XR when it started in the UK. He no longer holds any formal role in XR UK.
Roger Hallam has never been a member of, or held any position in, Global Support.
**Additionally, he will neither hold any role within Global Support nor be involved in _any_ capacity with its future campaigns and strategy.**
Roger Hallam has carried out initiatives in various parts of the world that, regardless of his intentions, have led to significant damage to our movement. For example:
- In November 2019, after comments Roger Hallam made on the Holocaust, the Global Support Tech team witnessed mass account deactivations across its global services. The German team cited a particularly heavy fall in their membership base. This was the first time Global Support Tech had seen negative growth since our global communications platforms were deployed, with thousands of rebels leaving our platforms.
- Radiohead, a major donor in 2019, indicated they would no longer donate to XR, citing Roger Hallam’s comments.
XR Switzerland and XR Germany both reported that other local environmental groups sought to distance themselves from XR after the comments, with local Fridays For Future groups seeking distance from XR at German protests and indicating that the Extinction Symbol was not welcome at actions.
- On more than one occasion in 2020, Roger Hallam “jokingly” suggested that leaders responsible for the climate and ecological emergency should be shot. Joke or not, these statements damaged our otherwise strong commitment to non-violence in the public eye, and increased concerns about XR being classified as a terrorist organization.
- Roger Hallam helped set up “XR America”, which both complicated existing conflicts among rebels in the United States and created new ones. As a result, the Latin American XR movement dissociated itself from Global Support and has worked as a network of independent regional groups
- Global Support’s Media and Messaging team maintains a Reactive team that monitors feedback and responds to messages on the global Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. Reactive has often reported negative feedback and unproductive controversy in response to posts mentioning Roger Hallam.
Our highest priority at Global Support is to encourage the strong, efficient, and regenerative global growth of the XR movement. It is clear that Roger Hallam has become a highly divisive figure both in the global movement and within Global Support. While we recognise his groundbreaking early actions and extraordinary work in co-founding XR, we can no longer allow the controversy around his later statements and activism continue to damage our work.
**We are issuing this statement in order to state our position clearly and transparently, and as a measure towards reconciliation.**
Tell your story; Ask a question; Interpret generously