MoA: On Musk and Twitter, Hunter Biden laptop, Matt Taibbi etc.
Posted by Tomski on December 3, 2022, 3:52 pm
Musk Provides Twitter Censorship Files |
In October 2020 the New York Post published private porn and business details it had retrieved from Hunter Biden's laptop. Emails found on it proved that Joe Biden, despite his claims otherwise, had manipulated the Ukrainian government in service of the gas company Burisma, which was paying his son's company for such lobbying.
The librul media and the Democratic party launched a censorship and denial campaign to suppress the news about the laptop. They called it 'Russian disinformation'. A court later verified that the content of the laptop was genuine.
When the story broke Twitter prominently prohibited and suppressed all links to the New York Post story.
Elon Musk, who has recently bought Twitter, has given the relevant internal Twitter communication to muckraker Matt Taibbi who then tweeted the story:
Matt Taibbi @mtaibbi - 11:34 UTC · Dec 3, 2022
1. Thread: THE TWITTER FILES
3. The “Twitter Files” tell an incredible story from inside one of the world’s largest and most influential social media platforms. It is a Frankensteinian tale of a human-built mechanism grown out the control of its designer.
5. In an early conception, Twitter more than lived up to its mission statement, giving people “the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.”
6. As time progressed, however, the company was slowly forced to add those barriers. Some of the first tools for controlling speech were designed to combat the likes of spam and financial fraudsters.
8. By 2020, requests from connected actors to delete tweets were routine. One executive would write to another: “More to review from the Biden team.” The reply would come back: “Handled.”
11. This system wasn't balanced. It was based on contacts. Because Twitter was and is overwhelmingly staffed by people of one political orientation, there were more channels, more ways to complain, open to the left (well, Democrats) than the right. opensecrets.org/orgs/twitter/
18. Twitter took extraordinary steps to suppress the [Hunter Biden laptop] story, removing links and posting warnings that it may be “unsafe.” They even blocked its transmission via direct message, a tool hitherto reserved for extreme cases, e.g. child pornography.
23. The decision was made at the highest levels of the company, but without the knowledge of CEO Jack Dorsey, with former head of legal, policy and trust Vijaya Gadde playing a key role.
24. “They just freelanced it,” is how one former employee characterized the decision. “Hacking was the excuse, but within a few hours, pretty much everyone realized that wasn’t going to hold. But no one had the guts to reverse it.”
25. You can see the confusion in the following lengthy exchange, which ends up including Gadde and former Trust and safety chief Yoel Roth. Comms official Trenton Kennedy writes, “I'm struggling to understand the policy basis for marking this as unsafe”: Image
26. By this point “everyone knew this was ####ed,” said one former employee, but the response was essentially to err on the side of… continuing to err.
An amazing subplot of the Twitter/Hunter Biden laptop affair was how much was done without the knowledge of CEO Jack Dorsey, and how long it took for the situation to get "un####ed" (as one ex-employee put it) even after Dorsey jumped in.
Before the election Biden's election gang was colluding with Twitter to suppress bad news about Biden and positive new about Trump. They continued to heavily influence Twitter and Facebook after the election was over. The one sided news about Ukraine in the media and online is part of this.
The Intercept also censored its reporting about the laptop and Biden's corruption. Glenn Greenwald resigned over it. Other companies from the Democrat aligned tech circus joined in and librul media ignored or obfuscated the story.
Laying out the laptop story in full would probably have cost Joe Biden the presidency. The media censorship was thus a direct intervention in the election process.
Taibbi will report more on that story. Musk has fired the people at Twitter who took that decision.
The libruls now fear to lose the tool of partisan censorship they had with Twitter. Elon Musk's involvement has led to a campaign by librul media against a presumed new 'lack of censorship' by Twitter:
Hate Speech’s Rise on Twitter Is Unprecedented, Researchers Find - New York Times
Slurs against gay men appeared on Twitter 2,506 times a day on average before Mr. Musk took over. Afterward, their use rose to 3,964 times a day.
And antisemitic posts referring to Jews or Judaism soared more than 61 percent in the two weeks after Mr. Musk acquired the site.
These findings — from the Center for Countering Digital Hate, the Anti-Defamation League and other groups that study online platforms — provide the most comprehensive picture to date of how conversations on Twitter have changed since Mr. Musk completed his $44 billion deal for the company in late October. While the numbers are relatively small, researchers said the increases were atypically high.
Twitter processes roughly 500 million tweets per day. The slurs against gay men have thus increased from 0.0005% to 0.0008% of all tweets. They are just white background noise that decreases or increases with the news or weather of the day. Even at a higher rate such tweets would not be a problem. One does not have to follow those who issues the slurs and one can block them from ones timeline.
The Times only launched the story to regain the Democrats' control of the censoring instrument that Twitter had become.
Biden's election proved the usefulness of such a tool. That campaign against Musk's Twitter will thereby likely intensify. So will his effort to fight back.
More popcorn please.
Posted by b on December 3, 2022 at 15:42 UTC