This is the album that made me a lifetime fan of Dream Theater. I have their logo tattooed on my arm. I splurged for meet and greet passes on their most recent tour. I've seen them live nine times. I freaking LOVE this band, and this album. As I've stated before, it's my favorite album of all time. I love every second of it, and cannot for the life of me see a weak link in the chain.
But...dammit if you guys didn't bring up some good points.
Yeah, "Through Her Eyes" is the weakest song on the album. Yeah, the second half does drag a wee bit after "Home." Yeah, the music does sound like a video game soundtrack or a D&D campaign soundtrack in spots. Yeah, James' vocals are hit and miss.
But for me, there are far more hits than misses. This album was more or less my gateway to the world of progressive rock, and I found my way to King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and many others thanks to these guys (and an assist from you and Starostin). I agree with "Home" being the best song for DT virgins to listen to first; it's got all their strengths and faults on display for 13 minutes. A few asides:
* Jordan actually plays the sitar parts of "Home" on his keyboard.
* Major, major kudos for recognizing how great of a bassist John Myung is. His are some of the most fluid, elastic bass lines I've heard in any band. He practiced his dexterity when he was younger by playing along to The Number of the Beast...AT 78 RPM.
* "The Spirit Carries On" is one of the band's most beloved songs. You've probably earned a lot of enemies with your take; you weren't kidding when you said it was hotter than the surface of the sun.
* Your derisive chuckling got quite a few laughs out of me.
* I really need to watch "Dead Again."
So I'm guessing you'd give Scenes a 6 or 7 on your scale? I was honestly expecting you to rip this album to shreds, but I'm glad (and slightly relieved) you were able to find some spots you liked. Great episode.
P.S.: I BLAST "THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON" IN DEFIANCE OF YOU, MCFERRIN! DEFIAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!!!!!!!!
*shakes fist in the air in the general direction of Illinois*
« Back to index