Then I started watching some Battlebots or Robot Wars or whatever. Apparently, it's back. Maybe. I think the American returned a few years ago and is still going but the UK show returned and is gone again.
Anyway, I never enjoyed the "hazards" and I really didn't enjoy the "house robots". The house robots only appear in the UK show. Too many matches end up being decided on this dumb shit. Just put them in an empty arena and let skill and design determine the victor as opposed to blind luck.
But I guess this is what the kids want to see. Just mindless destruction. Who cares that it's unfair and takes away the competitive element of the contest?
Anyway, that's some real nerd shit.
I'm reminded of a totally unrelated minor event in my youth. I brought a bag of pistachios to school for lunch. It was raining outside so we couldn't go out for recess. We had "indoor recess". This just meant that you went to the classroom and were able to play board games or whatever. It was largely unsupervised so I don't actually remember anyone playing board games but they may have done.
So I had these pistachios. They were dyed red, as was the style at the time. So you'd eat them and your fingers and lips would get red. You can read about why they were dyed red on the internet. I don't know if this was the case in the UK too. It's not so interesting but they don't really do it any more.
Anyway, I was eating these pistachios and didn't know what to do with the shells. If I threw them in the bin, the teacher would know that somebody was eating pistachios in class. You weren't supposed to eat in class. So I threw them out the window.
Some of them stayed in the window sill. They were there for days. It snowed and the pistachios dyed the snow red. I thought it was kind of cool.
This reminds me of another pistachio school tale, no less interesting than the last one. I was eating pistachios on the playground and throwing the shells on the ground. It was kind of an act of rebellion because you're not supposed to be littering. So my friend was picking them up. I'm not sure why. He didn't want me to get in trouble, I guess. But then some dumb bully yelled at him. "Why are you picking up nuts? Are you a squirrel?" So my friend said "no" and stopped picking up the shells.
A similar story is I had a Kool-Aid Blast (or something) for lunch. This was a drink that came in a plastic bottle. I didn't want to drink it at lunch because it was embarassing. In reality, it wasn't really any more embarassing than the juice boxes that everyone else was drinking from. But I don't know, the plastic bottle of Kool-Aid seemed more childish than the juice boxes of Hi-C or whatever.
So I didn't drink it. But I also didn't throw it away because if the lunch ladies saw you throw food away, you'd get in trouble.
So I hid it under my coat and went out to recess. I dropped it off by the church. My friend was with me when I did this. Then I saw a couple of younger boys pick it up and I started point and laughing at them. "They picked it up!" Then they immediately dropped it. I don't know what their plan was, if anything. Maybe they were going to drink it, maybe not. But I was so embarassed by this Kool-Aid bottle that I tried to pass this on to these kids. "Oh, they want to drink from this kiddie plastic bottle of Kool-Aid (that was originally mine)".
In other food news, I got some "meat & veg" burgers from Tesco. Maybe I mentioned this before. They're 50% beef and 50% carrot and onions and whatever.
They're alright. It's an intersting way to reduce one's meat consumption.
Also intersting is that they're not far off from the Tesco "hamburgers" that I purchased years ago that were 70% beef. Those were god awful and I don't know what that remaining 30% was. I doubt that the 70% was even beef.
But yeah, at least these "meat & veg" burgers are clearly labeled as a sort of hybrid burger. Too bad that they have to use that gay British term "meat & veg". I only know that as idiotic British slang for genitals but maybe it's used in a non-perverse sense too.
Even if so, why abbreviate? Is "vegetables" too difficult a word? One of the more annoying aspects of British culture. Abbreviating words. Creating stupid new words. "Jacko" and "Brexit" and whatnot. Fuck off.
« Back to index