Re: Expensive or not?
Posted by Andrew West on November 16, 2007, 11:07 pm, in reply to "Re: Expensive or not?"
My Teclamit lift packed up not long out of warranty & I decided to try finding the fault myself.After quickly working out how to work it manually by pressing the switches with the cover removed,I ordered a new switch from an independant supplier.The switch came without the bits that were faulty & I found out later that it had been superceded.I ended up getting the engineer to come out & replace the switch, which cost an arm & a leg.The next time it went wrong , it was the latching circuit at fault, so I cable tied the latches back, so that I could lower the lift(dangerous I Know).I then proceeded to test for the fault which I was pretty certain was the bridge diode at fault.I called the engineer again, because I had several MOT's to do & needed to get it working.He came out, went through all the checks that I had already performed & eventually came to the same conclusion as I had. So he thought that he would prove the theory, by testing it with a multimeter & found that the replacement part tested the same as the faulty part, but after replacing it, everything worked fine, then I went and did exactly what I was being carefull not to do & cut one of the latch solenoid wires when I was removing the cable ties.
Anyway, what I was getting at is that Tecalemit charged me about £40 for a part that I found a supplier for in france(where the lift was made) selling it for about £1.50. So it may be worth searching the internet for the parts that you need in the future, but the problem usually is that time doesn't permit getting a part that way.
Sorry for the long winded post.