Collective Archived Message
Posted by flash on September 13, 2020, 11:51 am, in reply to "Re: The repetative and shameless knuckle-dragging abuse you've got away with time after time is another "
This isn't a collective, because there isn't decentralised decision making. The old Media Lens message board wasn't a collective either. Dan would likely agree with you that it's not 'his board', but he does hold the power and when one person holds the power there will always be disagreement about how they exercise it. I'd say Dan has used his power lightly until more recently, and based on his exeriences I understand why that's changed. As he has repeatedly said, those who don't like the way he runs the place can set up their own board and run it their way... looks like that's finally happened with 5filters. Which is great, people have somewhere to go if they don't like it here. |
In the early days of The Lifeboat News, whose name had been a quick choice in order to set up a new home before the old board vanished, Dan set up a voting system to decide on a new name... I forget the details, but it went on for a while, there was much debate, no overall consensus and ultimately the original name remained. That one small decision was so hard to make as a collective. I would love to see a functioning non-heirachical community in action, but I suspect it's not easy to grow and maintain. Perhaps 5filters will achieve it, I don't know if that's what they're trying to do or not.
Whatever the truth of the pandemic, what saddens me the most is how divided opinions on it have resulted in abusive treatment of each other, here and on wider social media. I see little attempts at tolerance and understanding of others in the covid discussions, and downright sarcastic, angry and abusive behaviour at times. And so much focus by people on trying to be 'right' and convincing others to see things the way they do. Too much ego, not enough love. The covid threat, whether people see the virus or the authorities reponse to it as the greater threat, is just one of many that we face and will face going into the future. If we can't stop resorting to mocking and hating on each other, what's the point?
|Message Thread: | This response ↓|
- What's going on with Rhisiart? - Thomas Newfield September 12, 2020, 9:18 pm
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? - Davey F September 12, 2020, 11:25 pm
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? - brooks September 12, 2020, 11:46 pm
- Doesn't look like he'll be coming back here now, given responses below .. - David Macilwain September 13, 2020, 12:15 am
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? - Shyaku September 13, 2020, 1:33 am
- He was banned for a month for spamming....nm - Keith-264 September 13, 2020, 3:39 am
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? -- he's over there ->[FiveFilters.org - Sinister Burt September 13, 2020, 11:28 am
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? - Poster123 September 13, 2020, 1:39 pm
- Re: What's going on with Rhisiart? - Focus September 13, 2020, 6:49 pm
- I didn't come here looking for an echo chamber .. - Shyaku September 13, 2020, 9:18 pm